“A picture is worth a thousand words” is a phrase credited to Frederick R. Barnard commenting on the addition of graphics to advertising in 1921. The concept of a picture giving the viewer an image in a second that might take any length of time to describe in writing, is even more applicable to the modern internet age lifestyle. An image remains in the mind for much longer than the spoken word, while very few people have the time or inclination to read written advertisement in today’s rushed world.
Moving pictures have been around since 1890 when the first films were made which lasted for a minute or even less. The motion picture industry has gone through amazing changes and developments since then, all the way from the big reels to the CD and DVD concept. The computer and internet revolution has turned every computing device, from the smallest mobile phone upwards, into a receiving and viewing device and subsequently, into a shop window.
The use of this online video technology as an advertising medium makes it possible for the smallest business enterprise to reach a previously unheard of number of potential customers. Using the new technology in combination with Google, the world’s most popular search engine, you can have exposure to over a billion viewers monthly according to the eBizMBA ranking on 1st June 2015. The second most popular search engine is YouTube, owned by Google, which processes over 3 billion searches every month.
Putting Google and YouTube together and then factoring in the Search Engine Optimization (SEO) criteria employed by Google, the exposure your brand or advertisement receives can be mind boggling. We will take a look at some the factors around Google and YouTube to try and make you aware of the virtually unlimited advertising mileage and exposure you get by making use of YouTube.
- YouTube processes more than 3 billion searches every month with the number growing steadily. Statistics show that YouTube is the fastest growing video sharing website in the world.
- With one out of every two internet users on YouTube, there are 1 billion unique visitors viewing 6 billion hours of video every month. In addition to this, 100 hours of new videos are uploaded every minute.
- Mobile YouTube viewers make up 25% of the global time that YouTube is being watched with more than 1 billion daily viewers. Your shop window is even open to viewers on the move in today’s non-stop world environment.
- In the same way that your website content and format determines your Google ranking, there are similar factors that rank your YouTube advertising video. Some of the factors that can affect the ranking are the number of views, the video title and description as well as the viewer ratings feedback that YouTube receives.
- E-marketing is the sales tool of the future with an almost unlimited number of potential clients out there waiting for you to connect with them. YouTube is the most cost effective advertising medium you will find.
The entire business community is continually searching for ways to increase market share and sales. The old days of putting your merchandise in the shop window or advertising your services on billboards and waiting for customers are long gone. Utilizing the internet and the modern online video and YouTube approach for business and service advertising, can have tens of thousands of potential clients passing your ‘shop window’ every single day. The vast numbers reduce the ratio of the cost of advertising to sales dramatically. To look into the future of advertising, all you need to do is to look into online videos.